Optical encoders case studies and application notes
Our case studies and application notes for optical encoders showcase how our products can provide precision measurement solutions. See real-life examples of our customers using high quality Renishaw encoders across a variety of applications.
Optical encoders help our customers to achieve their potential in position measurement
Choose an industry to discover moreIndustries trust Renishaw optical encoders to solve precision measurement challenges. Learn how the latest encoder technology has affected businesses in applications as varied as electronics, machinery, manufacturing, research, aerospace, and healthcare.
Case studies - Electronics
The world's No.1 semiconductor assembly & packaging equipment manufacturer benefits from Renishaw's products
ASM Pacific Technology Ltd, the world's largest supplier of wafer assembly and packaging equipment for the semiconductor industry, aims to offer complete factory automation solutions and satisfy customers' needs through its innovative and cost-effective products.
Lasing Microsystem S.A. establish relationship with Renishaw as a solution provider for high accuracy and position checking applications
Lasing Microsystems S.A. is a leading source of technology for instrumentation and photonics products, focusing on lasers and precision positioning. Renishaw provided encoder solutions that delivered higher accuracy and position checking.
Taiwan's Industrial Technology Research Institute (ITRI) has addressed the multi-axial machine tool technology trend by developing an advanced dual-axis rotary table. This is integrated with Renishaw RESOLUTE absolute rotary encoders and Panasonic serial communication protocols.
- Encoders accelerate PCB impedance verification
- Scodix chooses TONiC™ encoders for its Ultra™ series of digital enhancement printing presses
- ATOM™ encoders allow rapid, high-accuracy FPD inspection and repair
- Thorlabs selects TONiC™ encoders for its motion stages after in-house testing
- In ALIO's tiny world of nano-motion systems, Renishaw encoders provide large performance and cost advantages
- VAD Instrument chooses Renishaw's UHV optical encoders for motion platforms
Case studies - Machine builders
To help Effective CNC design and build an 'all-in-one' machine that can perform both additive and subtractive machining operations in tandem, Renishaw provided support with its technical teams specialising in optical position encoders, tool setters and machine tool probes.
Case studies - Precision manufacturing
TOYO Nano System Corporation have developed cutting-edge motion stages that utilise a coplanar patented mechanism design and Renishaw's high-precision optical encoders as the position feedback system.
After testing and evaluation, TGT selected Renishaw's FORTiS enclosed encoders to optimise its tool grinding machines' performance. This is thanks to FORTiS' ease of installation and other leading-edge features.
Haozhi builds direct-drive rotary (DDR) tables and linear motors with integrated high-performance optical encoder systems from Renishaw. This gives Haozhi products a substantial competitive advantage with enhanced motion control accuracy.
- ATOM™ encoders help JUSTEK deliver custom motion control solutions that drive up profits
- Renishaw's optical encoders selected for 'unique' linear motor
- TONiC™ encoders are key for advanced precision measurement and control
- Precision position feedback for smart manufacturing
- Raising the bar on rotary table accuracy
- Renishaw encoders support the latest in DUKIN's CMM design
- SOLPOWER rotary tables turn on RESOLUTE™ encoders
- REVO-2 and the ATOM™ encoder
- TONiC™ optical encoders support the latest generation of CMMs from COORD-3
- Amicra - Reliable positioning without a reference run improves process reliability
- New state of the art air bearing gantry features Renishaw's high-performance incremental encoder
Case studies - Scientific, research and analysis
Wise Observatory chose to replace legacy encoders on the two positioning axes of the main one-metre-diameter Ritchey-Chrétien telescope with RESOLUTE™ encoders. This has greatly enhanced both its positioning accuracy and positional stability.
French technology company IRELEC Alcen manufactures optomechanical and robotics systems for synchrotron facilities worldwide. Renishaw's position measurement products have helped IRELEC to push the boundaries of synchrotron science.
Instron has launched an advanced bi-axial variant of the ElectroPuls™ E3000 All-Electric test instrument. Renishaw's RESOLUTE™ is the only absolute optical encoder to support ElectroPuls controllers, while offering linear resolutions of 1 nm and speeds beyond 20 m/s.
Case studies - Aerospace
Pacific Antenna Systems (PAS) utilizes several different electro-mechanical designs for its antennas, depending on the application. Rotary position encoders are installed on each motion axis (gimbal) to provide the required precision and accuracy.
How fuel efficient is a commercial airliner? The honeycomb seal-ring has been proven to optimise the fuel efficiency of aero-engines, but the measurement of these seals present difficult engineering challenges. Now, HAESL has solved this challenge by incorporating Renishaw's TONiC incremental linear and rotary (angle) encoders within its new optical Seal Ring Measurement System (SRMS).
Case studies - Medical and healthcare
3DHISTECH designs and manufactures one of the world's fastest and highest-capacity autonomous panoramic digital slide scanners - the P1000. It is a highly accurate scanning microscope that enables large pathology labs to capture ultra-high resolution images of medical samples. Renishaw's VIONiC™ and LA11 encoders enable the P1000 to operate at higher speeds than competing products in an accurate and repeatable way.
Machine users adopting a smart approach to air purge with FORTiS absolute enclosed encoders can significantly reduce their attributable CO2e emissions, and lower electricity costs. FORTiS' unique DuraSeal™ lip seals allow many users to employ a “low flow” air purge philosophy to provide all the reliability benefits of air purge but with reduced compressed air consumption.
The FORTiS enclosed encoder has been designed to cater for the needs of machine tool OEMs, end-users and service providers. Two new application notes talk directly to these important markets in describing the diverse features and benefits of the FORTiS encoder range.
This application note discusses surface mount technology (SMT) applications and presents an example of where linear steel scale (installed to be thermally independent of its mounting substrate) may be preferable to the currently widely used, but expensive, near-zero thermal expansion scales.
- Substrate mastered encoder scale for laser cutting machine
- Laser micromachining: A role for Renishaw's VIONiC™ encoder
- Substrate mastered scale on a CMM
- Advanced position encoders in photolithography
- Solar powered - what links metrology with solar energy?
- Renishaw's new VIONiC™ encoder offers unparalleled performance
- Industrial control loops and how they apply to encoders
- Introducing the RESOLUTE™ FS encoder
- Optical encoders and LiDAR scanning
- Miniaturising innovation in the encoder business with the ATOM encoder
Find the scale, readhead, interface and optional hardware suitable for your motion control solution. Discover our wide range of optical encoder systems. Create a part number and request relevant information.